Health Care reporter John Sepulvado spoke with Daniel Zingale, Cal Endowment Vice President.
The California Endowment's list includes:
#1 - SAY 'HASTA LA VISTA' TO BUYING SODAS WITH FOOD STAMPS
- Petition the United States Department of Agriculture to ban the use of food stamps to purchase sugar-filled sodas in California
#2 - APPOINT KIM BELSHĖ AS FIRST HEALTH INSURANCE EXCHANGE BOARD MEMBER IN THE NATION
- Appoint California Health and Human Services Secretary Kim Belshé to a four-year term on the California Health Insurance Exchange under the new federal Affordable Care Act.
#3 - PREVENT HIV TRANSMISSION IN STATE PRISONS
- Make condoms available in all state correctional facilities.
#4 - JUST SAY NO TO CANCER-CAUSING METHYL IODIDE
- Direct the Department of Pesticide Regulation to deny the registration of Methyl Iodide for use in California.
#5 - REPLACE COOKIES WITH CARROTS
- Direct the Department of General Services to require all vending machines in state office buildings to include only healthy food options. The Governor should also direct his Department of Public Health to establish guidelines for fat, sugar, and fried items that are prepared in all state facilities.
#6 - CLOSE PRESTON YOUTH CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
- Ensure savings from closing Preston are made available for programs proven to prevent youth violence.
#7 - REWARD RESTAURANTS WHO COUNT CALORIES
- Reward restaurants that publish calorie counts on menus by publicly recognizing them on the Governor's Web site.
#8 - LET THEM DRINK (SAFE) WATER
- Update the state's overdue Safe Drinking Water Plan as required by law.
#9 - PUT THE PHYSICAL BACK IN P.E.
- Amend the school physical education content standards to ensure quality physical activity is included.
#10 - PUT A BIKE UNDER THE TREE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
- Provide a bicycle fleet for state employee use.
#11 - GO LOCAL WITH HEALTHY ZONING
- Direct the Governor's Strategic Growth Council to work with city officials to enact local zoning laws that encourage physical activity (access to sidewalks, bike paths, and parks) as well as healthy eating (access to grocery stores and/or farmers markets).
#12 - APPOINT A NEW GENERATION OF LEADERSHIP
- Appoint a permanent Director of California AmeriCorps who will enlist youth from all ethnic and economic backgrounds to help build a healthier and more prosperous state.
#13 - DEPLOY A CORPS OF VOLUNTEER FINANCIAL ADVISERS
- Create a Financial Services Corps through the CaliforniaVolunteer Agency.
#14 - PUMP UP STATE EMPLOYEES
- Direct state agencies to initiate physical activity opportunities in all state office buildings.
#15 - TELL THE PEOPLE PREVENTION IS FREE
- Use the Governor's Weekly Radio Address to inform the public of the free prevention services under the Affordable Care Act.