Sherrie Rubin and her son, Aaron travelled to Sacramento from San Diego for the summit. They were among the 140 participants. Sherrie says Aaron started abusing pills in high school, "Aaron overdosed in 2005. We had no idea he was using prescription pills and he was in a coma for three-and-a-half weeks and we were planning his funeral."
Aaron survived, but he's now a quadriplegic who is unable to speak. The Rubins now go to schools to warn students about prescription drug abuse.
U.S. Attorney Ben Wagner hosted the summit. He says just a few years ago, 10-to-15 Sacramento County teenagers died from prescription drug overdoses, "Last year, there were 95 deaths. So, the trend has been skyrocketing. A lot of those deaths are young people and a lot of it relates to prescription drug abuse. So we're trying to do something about it. It's something obviously law enforcement can't do alone."
Alan Santos with the United States Drug Enforcement Administration agrees. He says it's not drug dealers who first supply prescription pills to teens. It's parents' medicine cabinets. Santos says that makes this a unique problem, "It's one we can't arrest our way out of. So we really see the synergy of working with community -based coalitions, state- and local law enforcement, practitioners, doctors and pharmacists. We really need a team approach to this."