State Government Reporter
Title: State Government Reporter
Department: News and Information
Reports to: Capitol Bureau Chief
Posting Date: December 20, 2012
End Date: Open Until Filled
If you love politics, journalism and public radio, this job is for you. As part of Capital Public Radio's award-winning newsroom, you'll cover the California State Capitol - the governor (not a body-building movie star anymore, but he did earn the nickname "Moonbeam"), the legislature (hey, their approval rating just soared above 30 percent for the first time in years!) and the policy and politics of the state that boasts the world's ninth-largest economy. You'll work out of our Capitol Bureau in downtown Sacramento - a friendly, burgeoning, up-and-coming city that's a short hop from San Francisco and Lake Tahoe.
The State Government Reporter reports, writes and produces newscast, feature and multimedia stories about the governor, legislature and other branches of California state government for the statewide Capital Public Radio Network (CPRN). S/he also takes part in planning CapRadio's Capitol Bureau coverage, and makes regular appearances on CPR newscasts and talk shows. The State Government Reporter may have the opportunity to contribute to CapRadio's documentary series, The View from Here.
- At least three (3) years full-time reporting experience, preferably in radio.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Public radio experience a plus.
- Knowledge of California politics preferred, but not required if applicant has previous political reporting experience and is a fast learner.
- Multimedia/social media knowledge and experience.
- Tech savvy, with solid computer skills (i.e. Windows, Microsoft Office) and proficiency in audio editing software, such as Adobe Audition or Pro Tools.
Send cover letter, resume, reference list, audio/print reporting samples and compensation requirements to:
Capital Public Radio
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.