• NEWS 90.9 KXJZ Sacramento
  • 90.5 KKTO Tahoe/Reno
  • 91.3 KUOP Stockton
  • 88.1 KQNC Quincy
  • MUSIC 88.9 KXPR Sacramento
  • 91.7 KXSR Groveland/Sonora
  • 88.7 KXJS Sutter/Yuba City

Suspect Arrested in Old Sacramento Shooting That Left Two Dead

Share | |
(Sacramento, CA)
Tuesday, January 1, 2013
UPDATE at 6:50pm Tuesday: Police have now identified the suspect in the New Years Eve Old Sacramento shooting as 22-year-old Carlito Montoya.
UPDATE at 5:50pm Tuesday: Mike Testa with the Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau, which organizes the two New Years Eve Old Sacramento fireworks shows, says it's too soon to say what the event's future will be after Monday night's shooting that canceled the midnight show.  But "I don't think you can move fwd and not do special events out of fear," Testa says.  "The reality is, this region supports special events very well, and they will continue to be produced."  Click the LISTEN NOW button above to hear more from Testa.
Meanwhile, the Sacramento Police Department says it's continuing to investigate last night's deadly shooting at an Old Sacramento bar that began with an argument among strangers.  It came as tens of thousands of people had gathered outside for Sacramento's annual New Year's Eve fireworks shows.
Police are not identifying the 22-year-old suspect.  But they say he's in custody at a hospital recovering from a wound he received in an exchange of gunfire with a private security guard at the bar.  Police say the suspect likely acted alone in what they call an "isolated incident," and they're asking anyone who witnessed the shooting or has more information to get in touch.
Sacramento police say an argument inside a bar at 2nd and K streets in Old Sacramento Monday night turned deadly when a male suspect fired several rounds, killing two, before being wounded by an armed security guard stationed near a side door.
A statement from the Sacramento Police Department says the suspect and armed guard exchanged gunfire, then the suspect was quickly apprehended by police responding to the incident in the crowded New Year's Eve crowd outside the bar. 
Five people were shot, including the suspect and guard.
Police say two guns were recovered from the shooting scene. The incident caused authorities to cancel the midnight fireworks display. The 9 p.m. fireworks show had just ended when the fight and shooting occured.
One of the victims is a male employee of the bar - The Sports Corner Cafe - who attempted to break up the fight. The other victim who died at the scene is a male, with a female also shot in her lower-body with non-life threatening injuries.
The suspect and the armed guard also suffered gunshot wounds, and were taken to local hospitals. Names of the victims and suspect have not been released as of Tuesday morning.
A press release from the Sacramento Police Department states:

Suspect Caught in Double Homicide

On Monday, December 31, 2012, at approximately 9:38 p.m., Sacramento police officers responded to the sounds of gunshots in the 1000 block of 2nd Street.  Officers immediately arrived and found five people shot, two of which were later pronounced deceased at the scene.

An argument erupted inside a bar located at the corner of 2nd and K Streets.  The argument then escalated into a physical altercation and an employee went to break up the fight.   During the fight a male suspect presented a gun and fired several rounds toward the subjects he was fighting with. A 30-year-old female, a 35-year-old male and an employee in his 20s were shot.  The female victim sustained a non-life threatening gunshot wound to her lower body, but the male victim and the employee, did not survive the multiple gunshot wounds.  Both died at the scene.

An armed security guard that was near a side door heard the gunshots, confronted the suspect inside the bar and the two exchanged gunfire.   Both the suspect and the security guard sustained gunshot wounds from their exchange. 

The suspect, still armed with the gun ran from the bar toward crowded city streets and was immediately taken into custody by responding police.  The suspect and the security guard were transported to local hospitals with non-life threatening injuries. 

The 22-year-old suspect remains in police custody while being treated at a local hospital.   The identity of the suspect is temporarily being withheld while investigation is underway. 

The Sacramento Police Department's Homicide Unit and Crime Scene Investigations Unit responded to investigate. At this time, detectives are actively investigating and contacting all subjects involved in the incident.  Two guns were recovered at the scene.  No further information is available at this time.


We Get Support From:
Become a Supporter

We Get Support From:

Become a Supporter